I am writing this post to encourage fellow mom’s to make that plunge and join Zehra’s Fitness Challenge. This review not sponsored in anyway and is my own opinion based on my experiences and outcomes.
My Fitness Journey
Prior to getting married, I was exercising at least 3-5 times a week with amazing Female Only Gyms in Dubai. My exercise routines were filled with Yoga, Les Milles Programs & Pilates etc. I was pretty fit and probably a size 4 US (or UK 8) at my biggest. When I moved to the US I found myself consuming mostly carbs, meats, and I had no exercise routine. I was not disciplined enough to work out at home, wasn’t driving so I couldn’t go to a gym and so I felt like I lost all the muscle I built over the years.
Why I joined the Fitness Challenge
I stumbled upon Zehra’s Instagram profile sometime around my 3rd pregnancy in 2017. I was in awe and so inspired by her but too lazy and always looking for food to comfort me. My weakness was sugar & bread. Fast forward to 2018, I had just had baby no. 3 and I was so unfit due to not working out for 6 years. I was 15 lbs from my goal weight and so unfit. With being pregnant or breastfeeding from February 2013 to date I feel like my body just got weaker and weaker. I was getting tired by 8 pm, always irritable and not motivated to make healthier food. My vitamin levels were very low (Vitamin D, B12 & Iron).
In December I joined Zehra’s 1-week challenge and gave up 2 days in because I felt so defeated. When she announced a 6-week challenge I thought to myself “There’s no way I can make it through 6 weeks”! Then came my birthday in January and I felt like I was at the lowest point in my life. I had 3 beautiful children, an amazing husband, yet I was constantly feeling so tired, overwhelmed, turning to food for comfort and I really wanted to get my pre-marriage body back and feel good about myself. Which mom doesn’t want to be strong for her family, eat better and not fall asleep at 8/9 pm? Me! So I requested the challenge as my birthday gift. My husband didn’t take me seriously as I had spoken about getting back to the gym for years. I have to admit I felt a little anxiety from all the work I had to do and I was not prepared at all.
I don’t know what happened to me but I woke up the next morning deciding that I had to stop making excuses and just DO and go with the flow. And I did just that….I worked out 5 days a week and like any normal human being I missed a day or 2 here and there and would make up for it over the weekend. Little by little I started to feel more content, stronger & healthier. I cut about 95% of Dairy, Gluten out of my diet which for me was HUGE! If you know me you know how much I love a sandwich or my chai. I actually would plan my days based on my meals and it felt great to be in so much control!
About the 6 Week Fitnest Fitness Challenge
- The challenge includes three Day sets of workouts. We got a meal guide, and 5 videos to follow and repeat over 2 weeks. Each video was about 30 mins long. It was recommended we do Mon-Fri but if we missed a workout we could catch up on the weekend
- The Facebook group is basically our community, where we hold ourselves accountable, ask questions and have access to Zehra. And boy did she come through! She is amazing! She came on for lives every week, answered questions, helped us if we had concerns, and even guided us through recipes. It felt amazing.
- To start all you needed was a set of weights (lighter and heavier), a jump rope, and a yoga mat. You could work out anywhere as long as you had these. So my space was my home and believe or not I only got my equipment a week into the challenge.
My Results from the Fitness Challenge
I lost 8 lbs and a total of 8 inches and went down 1 size in clothing (adding up all the measurements we took). My goal is to loose 8 more lbs, and an additional 8 inches mostly around my hips/belly. I went from using no weights, to ending of my last few weeks with 10lb weights!
Other Benefits from the Fitness Challenge
- You can enjoy food and still be healthy. Zehra’s meal guide helped me change my outlook of “healthy food is boring”. It takes work and meal planning but omg you can enjoy some GOOD food thanks to her meal guide and suggestions.
- I have realized that exercise without eating healthy is not going to cut it. The food we eat is everything for our bodies. I noticed on days that I re-introduced Dairy or Gluten I felt so bloated. And the days when I wasn’t snacking healthy (Aside from my 3 meals) I felt tired, lethargic and moody.
- When I didn’t drink enough water, I found myself feeling more achy and got tired more.
- Even though I have not lost most of my belly fat (overhang) from 3 c-sections I can’t give up just assuming that nothing is working.
- If you put your mind to something you can do it. I have never stuck to a fitness challenge or eaten healthy (of course I had a few cheat days here and there) like this since 2011. I made sure I did it in the morning either before dropping my son to school or right after. And that way my day would start more positively.
- I was able to go many days without caffeine without any issues. The days I do drink caffeine I now have it with coconut or almond milk and it tastes great!
- Once I started cutting out sugar, I craved sweet desserts less. And if I did have anything sweet, it actually was too sweet and made me feel yucky on some days.
- I realized that my days of missing meals wasn’t doing me any good. I might seem obvious but as moms we tend to cut out meals because we are constantly on the go and it was only affecting me negatively. My metabolism will slowly shut down and my body will think that it may not get food for a while so it will fight to keep every calorie and ounce of fat. Now that wasn’t working in my favor if I am trying to loose the calories and fat right?
How you can sign up for the next Fitnest Fitness Challenge
I believe the next challenge starts on the 9th July. The link to sign up is here https://www.thefitnest.ca/6-week-fitness-challenge and all registrations must be complete prior to the start day. She doesn’t accept any registrations after it starts. It’s only $79.99 which I feel for all that we have gotten is well worth the money.
I will be joining this 3rd challenge so if you are there, please join us in the Facebook group and say hello! I can’t wait to see you there.